Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Watermelon With Pulp August 2021

 When I was making my 5 gallon batch of watermelon wine Mary B asked why I didn't keep the pulp in the wine.  I said that I got enough juice out so I didn't need to.  But it gave me an idea for a small batch test.  When I added extra juice to the 5 gallon batch I had a melon left over so I followed all of the same prep steps.  But instead of squeezing the juice I did something different.

In my stock pot I added sugar.  I know this brings the juice out of things.  I also added pectin enzyme.  I think adding the sugar drew more of the juice right away because as I was mashing etc it seemed there was more juice to be had.  I put the whole creation into 2 gallon jars.  It was really pretty.  The red color comes from lycopene which is the same ingredient which makes tomatoes red.  I added the approximate amount of sugar needed to get me to 22%, all estimation since it's hard to test the sugar with the pulp floating around.

Once everything quieted down a little I racked it all to a single gallon jug.  It's still bubbling slowly.  Now just to wait until it clears so I can try some and compare it to the other batch.













No comments:

Post a Comment