Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Mid August Watermelon 2021

 A couple of years ago I made some watermelon wine, my first batch ever.  It turned out really tasty and everyone liked it.  Now I have only a couple bottles left.  In that batch I added potassium sorbate and back sweetened a little.  

So this time I wanted to go bigger.  I found that you get about 1 gallon of juice from a single watermelon.  So my ingredient list is very simple.

  • 5 watermelons
  • yeast KV1116
  • sugar
  • nutrient
The prep is actually a lot of work.  You have to slice and scoop the watermelons to get all of the juice from them.  I used a potato masher to mash them up, a hand mixer to further pulverize them, and then poured the juice into my ferment plastic bucket.  I only started with four gallons at first.  I tested the juice and it was about 7% sugar.  I added sugar to get to around 22% since I like my wine strong.  I put the lid on it and let it go.  It was almost dry in a week.  Some online friends said that this is not unusual with KV1116 and it has been hot which will speed things up too.  

On September 22 I decided to move everything to the glass jugs.  Only problem was I only had 3 gallon glass but I do have a 2 gallon plastic bottle that I bought and have used once or twice.  So I swapped it out.  I only had a tiny sip and it tastes good.  It's still fermenting very slowly.








No comments:

Post a Comment