Saturday, February 9, 2019

Potato Wine Feb 2019

I saw this on a you tube video while searching for how to extract sugar from the starch in potatoes. That process was too involved and time consuming so I decided to try wine instead.  According to the video it's supposed to have an earthy taste reminiscent of scotch whiskey.  I decided to make 2 gallons.

  • Bag of potatoes
  • 4 lbs brown sugar
  • One banana
  • Golden raisins
I boiled the chopped potatoes in a large pot for about 40 minutes until very soft. We had them for dinner that night 😀. I pulled the potatoes out with a slotted spoon. There were a few small leavings in the water.  I put the brown sugar in the same water which was good since it melted the sugar quickly. I cut the banana into pieces about an inch long and peeled after cutting. I put the pieces in my gallon jugs along with the peels and poured the sugar water in. I put a healthy unmeasured amount of raisins in. After the water cooled enough I put the proofed yeast in. By the next day it was bubbling like crazy. 

A note on the amount of sugar. I figured that since the starch water didn't have much free sugar I needed to account for all of the free sugar with the brown sugar.  A gallon is eight pounds so two pounds is 25%. That should make the final product around 17-20%. It's not a science yet to me.  I just like stronger wine.

Feb 9 - After two weeks it is still bubbling pretty well but I don't like the looks of the bananas so I decided to take it off of the fruit.  After doing so I found that the banana actually wasn't so bad so a lesson learned for next time. I put it into my new two gallon jug. I need a new airlock that fits better. I had a taste and it has a slightly fruity taste thanks to the raisins and banana. It's fairly strong and does have an earthy flavor. I'm thinking this will be tasty when it's done.

April 17 - Bottled this today .It stopped bubbling a month ago but I let it sit to settle. It's very tasty even now while it's raw.  The color in the glass is similar to whiskey. Can't wait to see how it  ages. I put some in 4 standard bottles and the rest in grolsh style bottles.  Should be good with winter root stews.

September 21 2019 - Had a bottle of this this weekend.  I really like it.  Great flavor.  Kind of a dark flavor.  Lyric said it tastes masculine, I agree and I like it.  I'm going to expand on this and add more banana next time to improve the sweetness.  Fun, good times.














No comments:

Post a Comment