Saturday, February 9, 2019

Cherry Cranberry Jan 2019

This is one of the first wines I dreamed up two years ago and it was delicious. So I took the original and tripled it to make three gallons.


  • 2 bags of cherries
  • 3 cans of cherry pie filling
  • 9 cups of sugar
  • 4 cups cranberries
I cooked the frozen cherries lightly to get the juice out while mashing them with a potato masher. I took the juice off a few times to try to get more juice out. Then I put some water in the pan with the cranberries. I cooked and mashed them lightly too.  I poured that juice in. Then I cooked the sugar to melt it. This isn't necessary because the yeast will eat it without it being dissolved but I wanted to be able to check the gravity.

I topped it off with the yeast and the water and checked the sugar. It's at 23%. Same as the first time. I also put the cranberries in to float around. Now to wait to see if the yeast starts. I used 116 yeast which is what I've typically used.

Early Feb - took this off of the fruit. Gravity was almost zero. Tastes very nice. Still bubbling and settling. Should be a delicious winter wine this Christmas.

March - Stopped bubbling.  Just been too busy to bottle it.  Hopefully in the next week or so.  Posting this so that I can remember the "bottled" date.

May 26 2019 - Bottled on Sunday.  Absolutely beautiful and so tasty even though its only a couple months old.  Can't wait to have it next year.  I only got 9 bottles out of the batch plus a half bottle of dreggy stuff, still very tasty.  I enjoyed it in the back yard with Mary B and a nice Davidoff cigar to relax and celebrate a good day of working together before firing up the grill for brats at the in-law's.

December 27 2019  Had a bottle while watching  It's a Wonderful Life with the family .So so very good.  I kept thinking I smelled hints of  cinnamon .  Mary B smelled it too .Made me wonder if this might be a neat thing to try next time.





Bottled May 26 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment