Thursday, January 2, 2020

Jalepeno Mead January 2020

Jan 2 2020

Since this is such a favorite and has few ingredients I'm making a large batch this time.  My first ever 6 gallon batch.  3.3 lbs of honey per gallon and a few big jalepenos.

I put about 4 gallons of water in the jug and added 7 lbs of honey.  I used my new scale to measure it.  I started with this amount because I didn't want to overwhelm the yeast.  The full amount of honey comes out to about 27% honey.

I poured out about a half gallon of the mixture into a warm bath and pitched the yeast so that it would have a nice warm start.  This also gave the 4 gallons of water a little time to warm up from 60º tap temps.  Once the yeast was bubbling I put it in the jug.  As of this morning it's bubbling.  I'll watch the gravity and when it gets low I'll put in the remaining 13 pounds of honey and water.  I'll also put in the sliced peppers once I'm sure the yeast is going nicely.

2 Weeks Later or so (I forgot to write it down) I added the remaining honey and peppers.

February 22 - While Mary B and Fiona were away and dance camp NYC I racked the mead off of the lees.  It tastes wonderful already!  Most of the fermentation has stopped.  I put  cling wrap over the top and a rubber band.  It's sitting quietly and settling.


No comments:

Post a Comment