Sunday, January 8, 2017

My First Ferment - 12/26/2016

For Christmas 2016 I got a basic mead kit and a couple of pounds of honey. Fascinated with the idea of making your own hooch this was a really cool gift. I followed all of the directions to a T. The mead looked great. I posted a bunch of pics to FB. We drank some after a week on New Years eve. It was delicious. A little sweet with not too much kick. I didn't check the gravity before putting it up.

One week later I checked the gravity and it was zero so I guess it was done. Even better the second week. Tasty with a slight sweetness and an alcohol zing. Not too much. Very enjoyable. A gallon went a long way. I was drinking it while I made my next batch of fun.

After thinking more about it and reading some wine blogs I can see that what I actually did after the first week was take the wine off of the old yeast. I didn't know I was supposed to do that so this was a happy accident.

This was a great first ferment. I think I'm hooked now. In my next batch though I am going to save a bottle to the side and drink it after a couple of months to see what a difference it makes.

Here's what the batch looked like on New Year's eve.



No comments:

Post a Comment